Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween Night Observing

Had a fairly pleasant night out last night, and setup my binoculars on a tripod out front while the trick-or-treat-ers were coming by. Got glances of "what the heck is that" from a few parents, but got to show the moon to a couple of tweens and a group of older teens; all who looked were suitably impressed. "Sweet!" was the most common comment :).

I'm amazed at how hard it is to *NOT* see satellites pass overhead these days. Saw three or four from my brightly lit front porch looking out over my brightly-lit-by-streetlights-(darnit) street. (Unfortunately, the ISS passed by too early and too low in the sky, and was obscured by clouds.)

And for the 2nd year in a row, saw a very nice, bright meteor shoot overhead just as I was glancing up. Both this year's and last's shot from mostly north to the S or SW.

Meanwhile, I continue to await the shipment of my new telescope. How can a few weeks pass by *SO* *SLOWLY*!

No comments: