Monday, October 11, 2004

Trashing my Oven

A week or so ago, we had a stovetop butter incident. I'll skip the details, but melted butter happened to run down the inside of the oven door. This needed to be cleaned out, and is where our story begins.

On the inside of our oven door, close to the top (when the door is closed) are two screws. It made sense to me that these could be unscrewed and the inside of the door could be lifted up to clean the inside of the glass. So I opened the door, and removed the screws.

And the outside face of the door fell down and hit the floor. Oops.

Fortunately, nothing broke, but I got to pick up the glass face to the door, bend the bottom bracket back into place, and, after doing the needed cleaning, hook it back up.

Now, part of this goof is almost certainly my fault. It wasn't apparent to me, even after the fact, that things would come apart in quite that fashion. But I certainly felt like a cartoon villain, sawing the floor out from under the unsuspecting innocent, only to have the whole rest of the house collapse on top of me. But it certainly made for an awkward assemby/disassembly when you have to have the door mostly closed, or supported from underneath, when removing the face.

All's well that ends well, I suppose, but the designers certainly didn't follow the principle of least surprise on that one.

No comments: