Wednesday, October 06, 2004

English Concert w/Trevor Pinnock

Magnatune just released a number of new albums, including one that was a pleasant surprise: a recording of Handel's Tamerlano opera, recorded by Trevor Pinnock's English Concert ensemble. As I've stated before, I know little about classical music, but I've certainly heard of and purchased music by The English Concert before. Hence my pleasant surprise that Magnatune had signed them up for a release.

Further to my surprise, I listened to the first act (of three) of Tamerlano, and I think my tastes have changed. I actually enjoyed listening. I've long wondered what people see (or hear) in opera, and chalked it up to the fact that I don't know the stories behind what I'm hearing. But I actually enjoyed this, and will be listening to the other two acts shortly.

No comments: