Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Elizabeth Wolff - Moments Musicaux (MagnaTune.com, Classical)

This album features Sergei Rachmaninoff's 6 Moments Musicaux Op. 16, and Moritz Moszkowski's 3 Moments Musicaux Op. 7 and 4 Moments Musicaux Op. 84. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'll say again that, like most MagnaTune recordings, it was performed well and recorded well, and certainly worth listening to and purchasing on those counts.

The Rachmaninoff was tolerable. I have Rach.'s works for piano and orchestra, and except for a few moments, don't care for them too much. The 6 Moments Musicaux struck me the same way. Second by second, it's good stuff, well written, etc., but as a whole, it gets tiring and doesn't sustain my interest.

The Moszkowski was better, though. I'm not familiar with his work (or his name, for that matter), but even though I was working on other things at the time, I found my ears perking up regularly while his tracks were playing.

On the whole, I liked the album, and while it's not on my short list, it's not off the long list, of albums I'd recommend or buy.

No comments: