Wednesday, April 02, 2003

The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

This one is a chick flick. Not much else to say about it, except that if you're a chick, you'll probably like it.

Alright, I'll say a little bit more. Generally speaking, I like the better done chick flicks. Not the tripe they show every night on Lifetime, but stuff like Steel Magnolias, Fried Green Tomatoes, etc. (Yeah, and FGT even has trains in it! As does Ya-Ya...) Ya-Ya isn't quite as dramatic/powerful as Steel Magnolias, but still does a pretty nice job of looking in of the lives of a mother and daughter through some troubling times.

But this brings up a side note. It may just be my changing taste in movies, but it seems to me like there are more movies of late that are showing interesting stories of the lives of normal people. As opposed to showing interesting stories of outlandish people or situations. Lately I've enjoyed such flicks as Return to Me, While You Were Sleeping, and Ya-Ya, where the film is more interested in showing actual, real people. Yeah, must just be my tastes are changing.

Anyway, the other thing of note that I really liked about Ya-Ya was the Southern aspect of it. I recognized the various characters as people I grew up around. Go ahead and laugh, Red and Skippy, but I love the South... (Probably why I liked FGT and SM as much as I do...)

No comments: