Thursday, June 28, 2007

Grilled Asparagus

Some time ago, we went to a cookout at a friend's house. The host served, among other things, grilled asparagus, which was quite tasty. So Wife decided we should try it out now that we have a grill again. (More on getting the grill later.)

The first try wasn't so good. The grill had been running quite hot, I think, and the asparagus was burned black on one side. Fortunately, you can just scrape off one layer of black, and the rest was edible. (Well, as edible as asparagus ever gets.)

But our second try was wonderful. A new tank of gas and some fiddling, and the grill is cooking much cooler. I put about 2 dozen stalks on, covered with olive oil and I think kosher salt, and let them go as I was cooking some hot dogs, turned them once or twice, and took them off when they were just a bit limp, (the tip sagging an inch or two when you hold the base level to the ground). Hoo wee, was it delicious! I actually wanted to eat it. (I've never really been an asparagus fan.) But I ate about half of it, and played tug-of-war with Wife for the last piece.

Man, I've gotta remember how I did that!

No comments: