Thursday, July 20, 2006

Sherlock Holmes

I mentioned back almost two years ago that I had listened to The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on audiobook. I got back to it recently with A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. It really is amazing stuff.

For starters, they're really enjoyable stories. I never really knew that I was a fan of detective stories, but having things unfolded and explained at the end of the story is great stuff. Secondly, the personality, foibles and human-ness that Doyle gives to Holmes is very captivating. Although I'm not interested in crime and I'll never be a detective, as I hear the stories, I've felt quite a kinship with Holmes, (no, I'm not a cocaine addict), in the way he talks about boredom, among other things.

Ripping good stuff.

No comments: