Thursday, October 06, 2005

Ehren Starks - Lines Build Walls

I was pretty excited to hear that Ehren Starks had a new album, "Lines Build Walls", out on Magnatune.com, and finally got around to giving it a listen.

First off, let me say that I did enjoy it quite a bit. It's quite energetic, very nicely played, and an all-around good album.

I was bummed, though, to find that it was just solo piano. I had really liked his first album, as all of the pieces were piano and cello, which I'm really finding that I like. (In fact, I played a couple of tracks from "Depths of a Year" for my Son, who was considering whether to start taking cello in school this year). I also liked the jazzier feel that Depths had; Lines was more "straight-up", and not as adventuresome.

Again, Lines is quite good, but just not the same kind of music as Depths.

No comments: