Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Peterson's Field Guide to Stars and Planets

For my birthday, Wife got me Peterson's Field Guide to Stars and Planets, which I just finished reading. Overall, it was quite enjoyable, and a nice introduction to astronomy. It covers the basics, such as finding your way around the night sky, finding the constellations at various times of the year, finding the planets on a given night (through 2014, I believe), and so on. It also has nicely detailed maps of both the sky and the moon, and finder charts for each month.

I went out a while back, and used the book and my binoculars to poke around Cygnus and Vega, and found it quite easy to identify various stars and groupings (like Brocchi's Cluster, which I'd never heard of before, but was quite pretty).

Granted, I'm not that advanced an astronomer, but I've really been enjoying this book, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone new to the pursuit.

No comments: