Friday, May 20, 2005

The Grateful Dead

Next on my list of live shows is a 1973 show by the Grateful Dead.

I really can't figure these guys out. They've got this immense following. One of the guys at work just loves their live stuff. But I'm listening to it, and remembering the stuff of theirs I heard on the radio in years past, and I'm drawing a blank.

Once or twice a year when I lived down south, I'd go with my parents to the various art shows in Pensacola, and there'd usually be live music, and unless I'm really missing something, the live stuff I've heard there over the years is just as good as the Dead stuff I downloaded.

It's not that it's bad, it's just that what I heard really wasn't that remarkable.

1 comment:

E.J. said...

Dave,
I know a lot of people who feel the way you do about the style and sound that the Grateful Dead created together. But there's a whole lot to love about them - including how many styles and songwriters they introduced to a generation of listeners who may not have gone down that road without their having taken them there (Merle Haggard, Hank Ballard et al), and a catalogue of original songs that will really hold up over time.
I'm about to release an album of songs by Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter called "Fennario".
It'll be interesting to know what you think about it.

Take Care. EmJ (www.emoryjoseph.com)