Friday, July 16, 2004

Beth Quist - Silver (Magnatune.com, World)

Plugged as "electro-Balkan/Indian meets New Age". Well, that plug should've told me right off that it'd leave me cold; I'm not much of an Indian music fan. The whole sitar and droning atonal thing isn't my bag. But Rob said he'd been listening to some of Beth's music, and had been liking it, so I figured I'd give it a try.

A couple of the tracks were quite annoying, and I didn't even make it all the way through. The rest were fairly nice, musically, but most had vocals that left me cold. The I'm-guessing-it's-Indian-or-maybe-Balkan vocal style, with the vibrato and the atonal slides, do nothing for me.

Of course, true to Magnatune's standards, it's good quality for what it is, and I'll probably continue on to her other albums, but I'll be passing on this one.

No comments: